Friday, July 23, 2010

Returning to the Mission

After two weeks of serving as a delegate for the LC-MS convention and a short vacation I am back to my mission work in Chicago…

There is a vortex of financial trouble here (I know we are not unique in that regard.) that threatens to draw me in an render me unable to see the work that God has before us here at St. Philip: gathering God’s people around word a sacrament for forgiveness and life, and preaching and teaching the Gospel to all nations.

Thus, I delighted in reading some blog posts by our fourth grade teacher, Miss Lexi Schmidt. In spite of my own foibles and mismanagement, God managed to enable us to secure Miss Schmidt’s talents for the coordination of local outreach in June and for international outreach (Guatemala) in July.

Miss Schmidt did a marvelous job of organizing our first Vacation Bible School in years. We had around 120 kids, 25% of which were not from our church and school community. Praise the Lord! Now, as I said, Miss Schmidt is in Guatemala (Miss Schmidt's Blog). She is teaching Christ via various means, including Bible studies, teaching English, and through service. (If you click on her blog you’ll hear music from a July 13th post. If you don’t want to hear that you’ll have to scroll down and hit the “stop” button.) I am very thankful for her, and my fervent prayer is that this is just the beginning of a new era of outreach here at St. Philip.

Lord Jesus, earthly concerns abound. Help me to keep my eyes fixed on You, the author and perfecter of my faith, for You bore the shame of the cross with joy, forgiving my sins, that I may be Your own and live with You in Your kingdom, and serve you in everlasting righteousness, innocence, and blessedness. Amen

No comments: