Monday, April 27, 2009

More on the Midwest Home School Conference in Cincinnati

A friend sent a comment with a question for further information and suggestions for getting started with home schooling. Here's my reply:

The book The Well-Trained Mind is foundational, but it can be a bit overwhelming at first. A good place to start might be the text we purchased at the convention entitled Writing With Ease by Susan Wise Bauer. Another good option will be to view her blog and other options at http://www.welltrainedmind.com/. A further option would be to purchase a couple lectures from the convention. These were recorded by http://rhino-technologies.com/. To give you a good flavor for the "Why?" and possibilities of homeschooling, try listening to "The Joy of Classical Education at Home" (labeled B12 by Rhino Technologies) or "Writing Well: A Plan for Grades 1-12" (G54), both by Susan Wise Bauer.

Dr. Bauer is no-nonsense, direct, and exceedingly intelligent. All of these are qualities I appreciate and these are helpful for someone who really wants not just the dog and pony show for homeschooling but the nitty-gritty truth. I went to every lecture she gave and I appreciated every one. It's a pity, actually, that I didn't learn about the conference she is putting on in May. I might have scheduled for us to do that instead. After hearing her lectures in Cincinnati I will take every opportunity I can get to hear her.

Those considering home schooling should talk to people they trust who are involved, and then also talk to others. There are lots of cooperative groups depending on where you live and these can sometimes be valuable. It will depend GREATLY on where you live and who is doing what.

My apologies for the delay in getting this post up, and I welcome the further conversation.

No comments: