Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Re-reading George McKenna's "On Abortion: A Lincolnian Position"

Here is a link to an article in the September 1995 issue of The Atlantic Monthly  (http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/95sep/abortion/abortion.htm). It is entitled, "On Abortion--A Lincolnian Position."

It is hard to believe that it has been 13 years since this essay was published. I read it right away, having seen the cover with the impressive picture of the Lincoln Memorial, and the huge title reference for the article. I wish that that The Atlantic would put it up online in PDF so that all the original graphics could be seen. It was impressive in a variety of ways.

During my college days and up until my rescue by Christ and return to the church in 1993 I held what might be called a "libertarian" position on abortion. This article by George McKenna played a key role in the reformation of my position, and I encourage those on both sides of the political debate to give this article a very serious read. Certainly, I would like to hear what my readers think about the argument Mr. McKenna presents.

No comments: