Monday, December 8, 2008

Austin Hatch Dunks

Last week my crew had the opportunity to spend an evening with my cousin Steve and his family. The evening including catching the second half of my young cousin Austin James Hatch's basketball game. 

Austin is an eighth grader and, like his dad, a fine student-athlete. I remember, as a kid just a few years behind Steve, traveling with my father from Frankenmuth (MI) to watch cousin Steve play ball over in Saginaw. Steve was a great student and a fine athlete, playing Div.III football (and basketball, I believe) at Alma College. If I remember righltly, he even considered walking on at Wake Forest for basketball when he was in medical school there....

In any case, my kids thought watching eighth-grade cousin, Austin, was a big time event, and an inspiring one. We also got to spend a bit of time with Austin after the game. He's around 5' 10" and though tired after the game worked hard to put down a dunk for the poor mortals gathered who enjoy living vicariously through him.

I had my video camera at the event and promised Austin that if he put one down that I would post it on my blog. Here, with his father's permission, is an early Austin Hatch dunk. God-willing, there will be many more to come! 



It is a joy to live near family and have the opportunity to share some time with them. Thanks to Steve, his delightful wife, Kim, and congratulations to their daughter, Maria, who in June 2009 will be married to the fine young man, Zach, whom we met for the first time at the festivities.

Her's a pic of cousin Steve with our little man, Brenainn, after the game:




No comments: