Monday, November 10, 2008

An Interesting Alternative for LCMS Structure

Pictured on the left is the cover of what appears to be an important contribution to the discussion of LCMS structure by The Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod's Executive Director for World Relief & Human Care, Rev. Matthew Harrison. I haven't yet given it as thorough a read as I would like, but my preliminary reading suggests a foundational agreement with much that is written. I have thought since serving as a 2007 Synodical Convention delegate that a lot (but not all) of the structure and bylaw discussion masked deeper issues. And at our recent Ohio District pastor's conference our District President and many at the conference, even after months of revisions, noted that they still weren't clear how the proposed structural changes from President Kieschnick's task force would actually help us do what we all want to do: Focus on The Mission.

 In this document Rev. Harrison offers what appears to be a stunningly honest diagnosis; one that will pierce the souls of those on Missouri's right and left. That alone is helpful, but the great contribution is his proposed "Koinonia Project." Here's one pull quote from the essay that I believe hits the nail on the head:

"We must finally admit that going the route of political coercion to secure Synod unity has failed, is failing, and will always fail. Our only hope is repentance, and then looking to the Word of God." (p.11)

 Do I dare say that I'm a bit jealous? Rev. Harrison has here put into words what I have thought but been unable to articulate yet, even for myself. I had intended, some time ago, to offer an alternative proposal to the task force. What I was thinking of suggesting has now been done, and with the sort of documentation and insight of which I am not yet capable.

Last year many of us discussed the President's task force study document, Congregation-Synod-Church. This summer and fall I have been mulling the President's task force proposals, all along with a feeling that we were missing something, that these structure issues were "tinkering" more than anything. I think Rev. Harrison has proposed a substantive alternative to tinkering with the structure of the Synod, but--again--I have not read the document as thoroughly as needed. I, for one, am looking forward to reading this and thinking about the diagnoses and proposals more deeply, and I would welcome the opportunity to continue the discussion that began last year.

Yours in Christ,

Lance_+

P.S. Here's a link to the Harrison document: http://www.scribd.com/doc/7861853/Its-Time-LCMS-Unity-and-Mission. For those interested in President Kieschnick's structure task force proposals, see http://www.lcms.org/pages/default.asp?NavID=13795

No comments: