Monday, November 10, 2008

First Article Gifts

I believe in God the Father almighty, maker of heaven and earth...--the First Article of The Apostles' Creed

What does this mean? I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and soul, eyes, ears, and all my members, my reason and all my senses, and still takes care of them.

He also gives me clothing and shoes, food and drink, house and home, wife and children, land, animals, and all I have. He richly and daily provides me with all that I need to support this body and life.

He defends me against all danger and guards and protects me from evil.

All this he does only out of Fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me. For all this it is my duty to thank and praise, serve and obey him.

This is most certainly true. --
Explanation of the 1st Article from Luther's "Small Catechism"



I made my first trip to Hocking Hills in southeastern Ohio on Saturday, 8 November, A.D. 2008, at the invitation of my friend and neighboring pastor, Michael Saylor, of Redeemer Lutheran Church in Convoy, Ohio.

All I can say is: if you get the chance to spend some time at Hocking Hills,
do it!

What a beautiful place and a great "guys" day. We left just after 6am from northwest Ohio where we reside and drove the 3.5 hrs. to Hocking Hills in the Saylor's big blue family van (their license place says something like "7 FRHVN" in reference to their seven kids). I hadn't taken a "road trip" with a bunch of guys in a while, and it was a real treat. I enjoyed making some new friends and seeing a new a beautiful part of the state that I have called home now for six years. On the way back I also enjoyed the great German buffet and local brew at Schmidt's Restaurant in the German Village area of Columbus, Ohio. After a day hike a smorgasboard of German sausages, potatoes, sauerkraut and well-brewed beer was perfect. The gargantuan German cream puff to top it off wasn't all that bad either!

Thank God for good friends and the opportunity to enjoy the creation together!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: