Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Dried Cork

One more night of vacation Bible school (VBS) to go! The kids are having lots of fun and (it appears) learning a bit in the process. By the end of the evening, however, I'm tired and like to unwind with a glass of vino. As a conoissuer of cheap Chilean wine I was ready to try my last remaining bottle; namely that of the 2004 Solterra carmenere grape. Now, I say I like to have a glass of wine, but the truth is that I'm no expert. I have a good and helpful little cork removal tool, and I haven't had any trouble with it in a while, but this evening was a disaster. First there was this:


Then there was this:


Thus, I forced to do this:


Now, I was expecting a bit more out of this wine, as I paid an additional $1 for this particular bottle (The "Reserve" got me.), but it ended up having the aroma of something like an alpaca farm. Thus, in addition to the totally dry cork that forced me to strain my vino, the wine itself did not go well with my low-fat Cheese-its.

In any case, it made for a good laugh with me and my wife, and that's always worth it.

No comments: